Triathlon in the Philippines has been generating more buzz this year which is not a surprise as the next edition of the Subic Bay International Triathlon (SUBIT) and the multisports events of the delayed 31st Southeast Asian Games (also referred to as 31st SEA Games, SEA Games 31 and Hanoi 2021) in Vietnam will take place this May just weeks apart from each other. Already triathlon events were held at Subic Bay and in Dumaguete City which drew several participants respectively.
On April 14, the Triathlon Association of the Philippines (TRAP) posted on its official Facebook page the official list of members of the Philippine Triathlon Team (including duathlon and paratriathlon). For transparency, posted below is the list from their FB post.
The Members of the PHI Triathlon Team
The National Training Pool
1. Kim Mangrobang (Laguna) 31
2. Raven Faith Alcoseba (Cebu) 20
3. Lauren Plaza (Laguna) 21
4. Karen Manayon (Cebu) 20
5. Gene Heart Quiambao (Bukidnon) 18
6. John Chicano (Olongapo) 31
7. Nikko Huelgas (Las Piñas) 31
8. Fernando Jose Casares (Bulacan) 25
9. Raymund Mulano Torio (Pangasinan) 34
10. Juan Carlos Abad (La Union) 24
Men U23 Elite:
11. Andrew Remolino (Cebu) 22
12. Joshua Ramos (Baguio) 20
13. Juan Francisco Baniqued )Laguna) 20
14. Iñaki Lorbes (Las Piñas) 20
15. Matthew Justine Hermosa (Cebu) 17
16. Lorenzo Joaquin Solda (Parañaque) 18
17. Joey de los Reyes (Basilan) 34
18. Ephraim Inigo (Ilocos Sur) 28
19. Jarwyn Banatao (Baguio) 28
20. Alexandra Ganzon (Iloilo) 36
21. Elaine Quismundo (Tarlac) 21
22. Merry Joy Trupa (Tarlac) 20
23. Jena Valdez (Pangasinan) 17
The Developmental Pool
U23/ELITE MALE: 18-23 y/o
1. Maynard Pecson – Baguio, Duathlon
2. John Ace Ventura – Pangasinan, Duathlon
U23/ELITE FEMALE: 18-23 y/o
3. Erika Burgos – QC/Laguna, Triathlon
JUNIOR ELITE MALE:6-19 y/o
4. Jacob Clint Lipura – Cebu, Triathlon
5. Jacob Kennedy Lipura – Cebu, Triathlon
6. Irienold Reig Jr – QC, Triathlon (transitioning to U23)
JUNIOR ELITE FEMALE: 16-19 y/o
7. Kira Ellis – Laguna, Triathlon
8. Moira Erediano – Cebu, Triathlon (transitioning to U23)
9. Nicole Del Rosario – Cebu, Triathlon (transitioning to U23)
YOUTH ELITE MALE: 13-15 y/o
10. Darrel Johnson Bada – Olongapo, Triathlon
11. Connor Hodges – Laguna, Triathlon
12. Carron Paulter Canas – Cebu, Triathlon
YOUTH ELITE FEMALE: 13-15 y/o
13. Erin Burgos – QC/Laguna, Triathlon
The PHI Paratriathlon Team
1. Alex Silverio- athlete (Cebu) PTri-4, 31 yrs old
2. Joshua Nelmida- athlete (Muntinlupa) PTri-VI, 20 yrs old
3. Jerome Nelmida- athlete (Muntinlupa) PTri-VI, 20 yrs old
4. Edison Badillo- athlete (Pasig City) PTri-4, 23 yrs old
5. Teodoro Diaz- Racing & Training Guide (Las Piñas) , 21yrs old)
6. Bernard Cruz- Racing & Training Guide (Las Piñas), 20 yrs old)
In relation to the posted list, the Cebu Daily News published an article highlighting the Cebu-based triathletes who made the roster. Look at the above list and take note how many are based in Cebu. To the newcomers reading this, be aware that Cebu-based Andrew Kim Remolino won the silver medal for the Philippines in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games men’s triathlon event.
To put things in perspective, posted below is an excerpt from the Cebu Daily News article. Some parts in boldface…
Cebu is stamping its reputation as a potential breeding ground of top triathletes after sending a solid number of them to the Triathlon Association of the Philippines’ (TRAP) national training pool and developmental training pool.
A total of nine Cebuanos, headed by 2019 Southeast Asian Games (SEAG) silver medalist Andrew Kim Remolino made it to TRAP’s official list.
The 22-year-old Remolino of Talisay City finished second in the men’s elite category of the National Age Group Triathlon (NAGT) series/National Triathlon Trials in Subic Bay Freeport last February.
His second-place finish earned him a spot in the national training pool.
Joining him is none other than 18-year-old Raven Faith Alcoseba who also hails from Talisay City.
Alcoseba, a varsity swimmer of the De La Salle University Green Archers stunned the women’s elite division when she emerged champion in her first NAGT race last February.
Joining Remolino and Alcoseba in the training pool is Matthew Justine Hermosa.
The national training pool will determine the final list of triathletes and duathletes that will represent the Philippine Team in the upcoming 31st SEA Games in Hanoi, Vietnam in May.
Joining them in the national training pool are three-time SEA Games gold medalist Kim Mangrobang, two-time SEA Games gold medalist Nikko Huelgas, and 2019 SEA Games double gold medalist John Chican along with 10 other triathletes, and seven duathletes.
The developmental pool, on the other hand, serves as the farm team for TRAP to hone the skills of the potential triathletes and duathletes who can become the next stars in this sport.
Cebuanos who made it to the developmental training pool are Jacob Clint Lipura, Jacob Kennedy Lipura, Moira Frances Erediano, Nicole Marie Del Rosario, Carron Paulter Canas, and para triathlete Alex Niño Silverio.
Remolino, Alcoseba, and the rest of the Cebuano triathletes who are listed by TRAP are members of the vaunted Talisay Luigi Triathlon Group- Go For Gold team of national triathlon coach Roland Remolino based in Talisay City.
In my recent post about which Philippine Team members will participate in the triathlon and duathlon events of the 31st SEA Games, Remolino and Raven Faith Alcoseba are the Cebuanos going to Vietnam.
Let me end this piece by asking you readers: Do you think that Cebu-based multisport athletes – apart from SEA Games medalist Andrew Kim Remolino – will make an impact in future races? Are you excited about the state of triathlon, duathlon and aquathlon events around the country this year as the COVID-19-related restrictions have been eased? How excited are you about the Subic Bay International Triathlon and the 31st SEA Games right now?
You may answer in the comments below. If you prefer to answer privately, you may do so by sending me a direct message online.
Thank you for reading. If you find this article engaging, please click the like button below and also please consider sharing this article to others. If you are looking for a copywriter to create content for your special project or business, check out my services and my portfolio. Feel free to contact me with a private message. Also please feel free to visit my Facebook page Author Carlo Carrasco and follow me on Twitter at @HavenorFantasy as well as on Tumblr at https://carlocarrasco.tumblr.com/ and on Instagram athttps://www.instagram.com/authorcarlocarrasco/