From my own experience in life, I know what it is like to be mobbed and get hurt by bullies. I know what it is like to be outnumbered by many others who could not control themselves.
Mobbing is defined as an act of bullying against an individual committed by a group of people (referred to as the mob). It is an act that happens in schools, the workplace, the family, online and in communities.
Usually a mob acts with its members united by the pursuit to hurt or even destroy the individual in varied ways like using physical violence, picketing, becoming rowdy and causing a disturbance while pointing at their target. Sometimes the mob can abuse the legal system to bring down their target.
Examples of acts of mobbing:
1) Spreading rumors or propaganda or organizing a smear campaign against the individual target.
2) Gate-crashing or deliberate trespassing into someone else’s territory.
3) Isolating the target to make him/her look undesirable in front of others.
4) Filing cases in court versus the target even though they don’t have solid evidence to win.
5) Beating up the individual physically.
6) Protesting in public and trying to fool members of the public into supporting their cause.
7) Lying to local authorities and telling them exaggerations just to fool them into supporting their cause against the individual target.
Why do mobs keep on mobbing? I have my own theories.
1) They really have nothing better to do in life and the temptation of organizing to “win” (hurting or destroying their target) is too irresistible to them.
2) Hate versus their target is so strong in their minds, they are too blinded to think rationally.
3) They are cowards deep inside and because they don’t have the law on their side, mobbing is their option.
4) They want to grab power or feed their own pride as a united group. They may even have some vanity in their minds that they don’t even realize.
5) They are driven by a political or sociological ideology.
6) Their group leaders are mentally unstable and the “follow the leader” approach still gets executed.
7) They believe that being united gives them the freedom to take the law into their own hands, to trespass into any territory and misinform people who discover their group. They may as well have adapted the culture of impunity.
8) They simply enjoy violence and want their target to suffer.
9) They don’t give a damn about right and wrong.
How to protect yourself from mobbing
1) Know your rights and study the law extensively. Get a very credible and experienced lawyer.
2) Prepare your own pieces of evidence that will discredit the mob.
3) If you can afford it, hire security personnel when you know the mob will resort to physical violence against you. Also consider a more protective location you will be staying at.
4) Observe how the mob thinks and acts. You should be able to analyze their flaws and use them to your advantage.
5) Avoid following their tactics and prove you are more civil than they are. You can influence members of the public when you discredit the mob successfully.
6) Research each member of the mob, especially their leaders. Also take a look at their personal interests that could explain their agenda in mobbing you.
7) While researching the mob members, observe how they act in front of others. Some mob members pretend to have been victimized (by the target individual) when in fact they are the ones on the offense. It’s too easy for mob members to pretend to be victims and blame the individual they want to destroy. It’s also easy for bullies to lie about the facts.
8) Wherever mobbing happens, do not hesitate to call for help from the immediate authorities. If you get mobbed in school, call the principal or a faculty member. At work, call the supervisor or the nearest security personnel.
Mobbing is simply wrong and in a way it is considered uncivilized. The mere act of a group bullying an individual person is just despicable especially when he/she is innocent.
I myself experienced being targeted by a mob of grade school students back in 1983 and it was a very difficult experience to overcome. It took me some time to recover from and, thanks to the Lord, I survived and got to live to tell about it. I certainly don’t want to see such a tragic experience happen to others who did not commit anything wrong.
If you, the reader, want to make a big difference in local society in a positive way then I urge you to learn why mobbing is wrong and why mobs are more destructive than their worth. If you get mobbed, fight back using civil and legal tactics!
More importantly, do not ever forget to pray to the Lord Jesus Christ for He will protect you and never abandon you. Also as a Christian, you will have to forgive the people who bullied you and that includes their most violent member or the gang leader. Remember that unforgiveness or the unwillingness to forgive will only lead you to more pain, more regret and put some darkness into your life. Everyone living in the flesh is flawed and that means looking up to the Lord for forgiveness. Learn from the Holy Bible.
“And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.”
Mark 11: 25 (NKJV)
For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
Matthew 6: 14-15 (NKJV)
Let all the bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4: 31-32 (NKJV)
With the Lord on your side, the mob will eventually fall down no matter how violent and persistent they are and no matter how bad your situation looks. All you must do is be faithful to the Lord and eventually you will win over the bullies. You and your household will be saved too.
Let them be confounded and dismayed forever; Yes, let them be put to shame and perish, That they may know that You, whose name alone is the Lord, Are the Most High over all the earth.
Psalm 83: 17-18 (NKJV)
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.
Acts 16: 31 (NKJV)
Never lose faith in the Lord!
Thank you for reading. If you found this article to be engaging, please click the like button below and also please consider sharing this article to others. Also my fantasy book The World of Havenor is still available in paperback and e-book format. If you are looking for a copywriter to create content for your special project or business, check out my services and my portfolio. Feel free to contact me as well.
Author’s Note: This article was originally published at my old Geeks and Villagers blog. What you read on this website was an updated and expanded version. In other words, this newest version you just read is the most definitive version.